Over 200,000 businesses use SharePoint for project management or knowledge management. That’s pretty impressive.
But while SharePoint is customizable and has some great features, it’s also expensive and can be complicated and time-consuming to figure out.
Luckily, there are plenty of Microsoft SharePoint alternatives on the market – ranging from options like Workvivo to Jostle to Confluence. If you’re looking for a SharePoint alternative for your organization, you’re in luck. Below, we’ll break down some of the most significant reasons to consider a SharePoint alternative and give you eight of the best options on the market.
Best SharePoint alternatives for your organization
While it may work well for major enterprises, investing the time, money, and effort into building and maintaining a company SharePoint isn’t for everyone. Let’s dive into some of the best SharePoint alternatives available to help you decide which best suits your business’s needs – and your employees’.
Workvivo is an employee experience platform packed with valuable, easy-to-use features. As a social intranet, Workvivo is an internal communications network that includes features similar to a social media platform. SharePoint is more of a traditional intranet: It’s far less engaging and somewhat outdated.
However, Workvivo’s social intranet connects your team like never before through their mobile app – no matter where they’re located! With social-networking-like features that enable better communications, improved company culture, and more streamlined remote work, Workvivo provides a better employee experience.
If you are a mid-market or enterprise, Workvivo might be a good fit for you. Workvivo can help with engagement, communications, and operations between frontline and desktop employees.
Workvivo key features
- Store all corporate resources and content in one place, creating repositories that are just a click away inside the mobile app
- Integrate with common tools like Zoom, Slack, MS Teams, Google Drive, and payroll software
- Use the people directory to quickly find and collaborate with colleagues and to better understand your company structure
- Increase employee engagement with personalized user feed
- Push notifications for crisis communications ensure everyone gets the message
- Get feedback by posting questions and allowing employees to vote on answers
- Connect every communication back to your company goals, values, and culture
- Use rich media like podcasts and livestreaming to connect with staff, no matter their location.
How much does Workvivo cost?
Request a demo, and let’s chat about how Workvivo can help your organization transform employee communications.
Owned by collaboration software Atlassian, Confluence is a remote-friendly team workspace that helps with knowledge management, communication, and productivity. This project management tool has more out-of-the-box integrations than SharePoint, and while the starting price is $0.75 higher per user than SharePoint’s cheapest option, you can use Confluence for free forever with 10 users or less.
Confluence key features
- Draw from the template library to easily create things like product requirement documents or marketing plans
- Enjoy up to 2GB of cloud storage
- Set up ‘spaces’ and ‘pages’ for your team.
How much does Confluence cost?
- Free for teams with a maximum of 10 users (limited features)
- Standard: $5.75 per user per month
- Premium: $11.00 per user per month
- Enterprise teams should contact sales for a custom quote
Samepage is an online collaboration software covering everything from project management to discussion boards and budgeting. Its eStudio contains 30+ total features and capabilities, and small businesses can start with a more minimal plan and increase as their needs grow. Despite all of its features, Samepage is easier to set up and get started than SharePoint.
Samepage key features
- Manage scheduling with calendar and event features
- Use the wiki’s custom search function and auto alerts to stay in the know on relevant topics
- Agile task assignment, timesheet entry, and Gantt charts.
How much does Samepage cost?
- Mini: $39 per month
- Seven: $59 per month
- Pro: $99 per month
- Plus: $199 per month
- eXtreme: $499 per month
Igloo calls itself the industry-leading intranet for digital workplaces. This software is a good fit for medium-sized businesses and serves as a knowledge base, content management system, and collaboration system, with the ability to configure your intranet in just a few minutes. Integrations like Microsoft, Google, and Slack also help make it easier to get work done.
Igloo key features
- Create wikis so employees can access and search for info they need
- Assign reminders, requests, or to-do items to different users
- Broadcast important messages to the people who need to see them
- Change permissions as needed to view or edit content.
How much does Igloo cost?
Pricing for Igloo is only available via custom quote.
5) Source by IC Thrive
Source by IC Thrive is another intranet option that’s comparable to SharePoint. Describing itself as a full-service intranet partnership, you’ll find solutions to boost engagement, productivity, and more. Unlike SharePoint, Source helps with consulting and integration and offers excellent technical support.
Source by IC Thrive key features
- Use the push notifications feature for real-time internal messaging
- Make a digital to-do list and assign tasks to employees
- Increase engagement by remembering and organizing employee birthdays and work anniversaries
- Run customized polls and review answers in Excel.
How much does Source by IC Thrive cost?
- On-premise: Starts at $19,000 for the first year and $3,800 per year starting year two
- Cloud-based: Starts at $9,500 per year (approximately $800 per month)
Jostle is the employee success platform for modern workplaces. Jostle aims to replace traditional intranets by creating a platform that is easy to navigate and update. This collaboration tool works well for businesses with up to 10,000 employees. Jostle integrates with more applications than SharePoint and has more comprehensive support options.
Jostle key features
- Publish relevant content and route it to the right people
- Post Shout-Outs to recognize colleagues for a job well done
- Store all of your docs in a single, authoritative library
- Use JostleTV to stream video to monitors around your office.
How much does Jostle cost?
Choose from four tiers: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum. Pricing on each plan varies; you pay per user per month, and the price per user goes down the more employees you have.
Glasscubes provides a frictionless experience while working with people inside or outside your company. This software bills itself as a more user-friendly SharePoint alternative, explaining that Glasscubes is more affordable, easier to set up, and faster to deploy. Solutions include file sharing, forms and workflow, and client portals.
Glasscubes key features
- Store, retrieve, and share files securely
- Access information quickly with a powerful function
- Create secure online workspaces where you can distribute tasks and coordinate schedules
- Use the video conferencing feature to set up a conference call within the software
- Use branded extranet portals to collaborate with customers or clients.
How much does Glasscubes cost?
- Team: $35 per month (includes five users; $4.20 per additional user per month)
- Workgroup: $70 per month (includes five users; $4.20 per additional user per month)
- Enterprise: from $140 per month (user fees subject to plan)
Liferay is a digital experience software that offers a wide range of solutions, including digital commerce help, supplier portals, and modern intranets. The intranet helps you keep all important info in one place, gives employees what they need to be independent, and streamlines processes to lower costs. Liferay focuses more on business operations than SharePoint does.
Liferay key features
- Let employees access HR info like pay stubs and benefits
- Create personalized, localized communications for employees in different regions
- Use blogs, forums, and online chat to foster collaboration
- Provide branded swag at a company store.
How much does Liferay cost?
Pricing for Liferay is only available via custom quote.
Simpplr is an AI-driven intranet solution designed to help connect and align employees, foster a shared understanding of the company’s strategic objectives, and enable people to work better together. It is considered a robust alternative to Sharepoint.
Simpplr key features
- AI-driven insights for employee experiences
- Prescriptive analytics for understanding what’s working and what needs attention
- Auto-Governance Engine for managing stale content
How much does Simpplr cost?
Pricing for Simpplr is only available via custom quote.
Workzone is a robust project management tool that’s ranked highly across multiple review sites like G2 and Capterra. It’s particularly useful for organizations requiring a tool that can manage projects effectively and provide a high level of customer support.
Workzone key features
- Better visibility to your team’s work with the Project Dashboard
- Expert project managers by your side for personalized onboarding and support
- Access to advanced features that help you manage projects more successfully
- Secure file sharing, approvals workflow, comment features, task sharing, and documentation of work as it’s done
How much does Workzone cost?
- Team plan: $24 per user per month with features like 100gb Storage, Advanced Reporting, File Share, Gantt Charts, Unlimited Project and Task Management, and Unlimited Training Sessions
- Professional plan: $34 per user per month offering additional features like API Access and Custom Project Intake Forms
- Enterprise plan: $43 per user per month that provides further features such as Critical Path, Cross-Project Dependencies, Custom Reporting, and Single Sign-on(SSO)
Happeo is an alternative to SharePoint that offers a variety of features designed to enhance communication and collaboration within organizations.
Happeo key features
- Lifecycle Management that automatically keeps content up to date
- Share articles, photos, and videos to bring conversations to life
- Emoji reactions and GIFs to make posts and comments more engaging
- Get read-confirmation on your announcements and retarget the people who missed them
How much does Happeo cost?
Pricing for Happeo is only available via custom quote. However, we do know they have 3 packages, Starter, Growth and Enterprise.
12) Workplace from Meta
Workplace from Meta is a communication and collaboration platform that aims to connect employees and improve workplace productivity. It provides a range of features to facilitate seamless communication and collaboration across teams, making it a viable alternative to SharePoint.
Workplace from Meta key features
- Create groups and communities for specific projects or departments to foster collaboration.
- Share documents, files, and media easily within the platform.
- Use the News Feed to keep employees updated on important announcements and company news.
- Conduct live video broadcasts and virtual meetings for remote teams.
- Integrate with popular productivity tools and software to streamline workflows.
- Access the platform through a mobile app for on-the-go collaboration.
How much does Workplace from Meta cost?
Pricing for Workplace from Meta starts at $4 per person / month with additional add-ons like ‘enhanced admin and support’ and ‘enterprise live’ that cost an additional $2 per person / month for each add-on.
13) HCL Connections
HCL Connections is a comprehensive digital workplace platform designed to enhance collaboration and knowledge sharing within organizations. It offers a range of features that can be tailored to meet the unique needs of different teams and departments.
HCL Connections key features
- Create communities and discussion forums to facilitate collaboration and knowledge sharing.
- Share files and documents securely within the platform.
- Utilize social networking features to foster employee engagement and communication.
- Access powerful search functionality to quickly find relevant information.
- Collaborate on projects using shared workspaces and task management tools.
- Integrate with other business applications and tools for seamless workflow.
How much does HCL Connections cost?
Pricing for HCL Connections is only available via custom quote.
Guru is a knowledge management platform that empowers teams to capture, organize, and share knowledge effectively. It focuses on providing quick and easy access to relevant information, ensuring that employees have the right knowledge at their fingertips.
Guru key features
- Create a centralized knowledge base with easy-to-search information repositories.
- Use AI-powered suggestions to surface relevant knowledge based on context.
- Capture and share knowledge through templates, cards, and Q&A formats.
- Enable real-time collaboration and feedback on knowledge articles.
- Integrate with other tools, such as project management software and communication platforms.
- Track usage and measure the impact of shared knowledge on team productivity.
How much does Guru cost?
Guru’s plans start at $5 per user per month under the Starter plan. $10 per user per month under the Builder plan, and has a custom quote option for enterprise-sized organizations.
Basecamp is a project management, document management, and collaboration platform designed to simplify teamwork and streamline project workflows. It provides a range of features that enable teams to stay organized, communicate effectively, and track progress.
Basecamp key features
- Create projects and set up to-do lists, milestones, and deadlines.
- Assign tasks to team members and track progress.
- Share files, documents, and feedback within project-specific workspaces.
- Utilize message boards for threaded discussions and announcements.
- Keep stakeholders updated with automated check-ins and progress reports.
- Integrate with popular productivity tools to enhance workflow efficiency.
How much does Basecamp cost?
Basecamp offers a flat monthly fee of $299 for unlimited users and projects on annual billing or $349 per month if you prefer to pay month-to-month.
16) Process Street
Process Street is a powerful process and workflow management platform that helps organizations streamline their operational processes. It allows teams to create and manage workflows, standard operating procedures (SOPs), and checklists in a collaborative environment.
Process Street key features
- Create and customize checklists and standard operating procedures (SOPs) to ensure consistency and efficiency.
- Assign tasks and track progress within workflows.
- Collaborate with team members by commenting and sharing feedback on processes.
- Integrate with other business tools and software to streamline workflows.
- Access analytics and reporting to gain insights into process performance and identify areas for improvement.
- Maintain version control and audit trails for compliance purposes.
How much does Process Street cost?
Process Street looks to have 3 plans in place, Startup, Pro, and Enterprise. The costs range from $100/mo all the way up to $1,660/mo depending on the package you choose.
Why a Sharepoint alternative may be better for your organization
SharePoint is used by millions of people around the world – 190 million, in fact. But like any software, it’s not perfect. According to current and former users, one of SharePoint’s biggest downfalls is its complexity. The platform is jam-packed with features – but for new users, this can make it more complicated than necessary to get up and running.
SharePoint is also expensive to use and maintain. If you want to transition your organization onto this platform, you’re looking at costs of:
- SharePoint Online (Plan 1): $5.00 per user per month (recommended for SMBs)
- SharePoint Online (Plan 2): $10.00 per user per month (recommended for enterprises)
- Microsoft 365: $22.00 per user per month
Microsoft also has additional plans that include SharePoint. These plans range from $6.00 per user per month to $22.00 per user per month.
Whatever plan you go with, the bottom line is the larger your company is, the more you’ll pay. For companies who want the full benefits of Office 365 and its integrations, your monthly bill could range up to $23,000 for enterprises with a thousand employees. That’s a significant cost for knowledge management software.
Finally, SharePoint is somewhat high maintenance. While it’s nice to have so much freedom to customize your intranet to suit your organizational needs to a T, it takes a special skillset to do so. You’ll likely need a developer (or someone on staff with advanced IT skills) to use the platform to its full potential for anything beyond the most basic use cases – which is also costly. Plus, SharePoint is a large collection of multiple software, meaning bugs and syncing issues are more common than with a single streamlined platform.
Elevate your organization’s employee engagement with Workvivo
SharePoint can be a good option for some businesses. But, it’s a more traditional intranet setup that isn’t the best option for fostering team communication.
Turn to Workvivo for a more engaging, collaborative experience. With our social intranet solution, you’ll get the best-of-the-best communication tools for your teams to use every day, regardless of their location. Request a demo to see how Workvivo can help you.